I’m looking into starting a Snapchat account for the library teens. Both the teens who are regulars already and the ones I’ve met at school visits overwhelmingly choose Snapchat over every other social media platform, so I feel like it’s one of the best ways for me to reach them. As someone who rarely takes pictures in my personal life, adapting to an image-based platform is going to be an adjustment. I’ve looked at the ways other libraries are using Snapchat, though, and come up with a few things I could do to connect with the teens there. My ideas so far:
– #ThrowbackThursday — recommend a backlist YA book
– #FridayReads — what the teen librarian is reading right now (and ask them to share what they’re reading)
– Snaps of the new teen books cart as I’m getting ready to check them in
– Snaps of new displays
– Snaps of behind-the-scenes program setup
– Snaps of publicity that can also serve as reminders for upcoming teen programs
– Snaps of post-it note reviews of books
– Contests, like entrance in a prize drawing for adding us on Snapchat or sending us snaps of their favorite books
I’m sure I’ll come up with more ideas as I explore further. I also plan to let the Teen Advisory Board help decide what our handle should be, to give them a greater sense of ownership of the account. Hopefully that will make them more likely to add us and encourage their friends to add us.
Do you use Snapchat professionally? What has worked well for you?